Photo of T. Rabb Wilkerson, III

Legal Solutions Tailored To Your Needs

Providing customized legal strategies to overcome your legal challenges.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Child Custody

Protect Your Child And Your Parental Rights

The greatest concern of any parent during divorce is: What will happen to the kids?

The two rules of thumb are: If the other parent “lawyers up,” you probably should lawyer up too, and if your ex is hostile to you, the outcome of your case will be better with good representation from an experienced Warner Robins child custody attorney.

Child Custody: Understanding The Options

Georgia recognizes two types of custody: legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody decides who makes important life decisions. Physical custody determines where the child will actually live.

  • Joint legal custody means both parents have equal rights and responsibilities for major decisions concerning the child. The judge, however, will designate one parent as the “tiebreaker” to have the final decision after consultation. Sometimes the “tiebreaker” parent is designated by specific issue (education, health care, extracurricular activities and religious training) in order to allow the parents to share in the decision-making.
  • Joint physical custody is another approach, in which physical custody is shared in such a way to assure the child of substantially equal time and contact with both parents.
  • Sole custody means that one parent has both legal and physical custody.
  • Split custody is allowed when there is more than one child. The family is actually divided in half, with some kids going to the mother and others going to the father, almost like two separate families.

Parenting Time Issues Resolved

In Georgia, as in most states, these delicate decisions are made with the best interests of the child as top priority.

At the Law Office of T. Rabb Wilkerson, III, P.C., I will work with you to establish the form of custody that is best for the child and most nearly matches your wishes. I am also ready to help you with issues of child support, guardianship and spousal support.

Contact A Houston County Visitation Attorney

I am prepared to help you reach a child custody and visitation agreement. Contact me online or call 478-225-4370 to schedule a consultation to discuss your situation.